Jan 5, 2012

London: "London Calling"


I’m officially in London! I still can’t believe that I’m here; it feels like I’m dreaming (maybe it’s the jet lag?). The past 48 hours have been insane, but I’ve had such a blast!

Photobucket

I left the United States (via the Philadelphia airport) late Tuesday night and arrived in London on Wednesday around noon. After finding a few of my fellow study abroad students from Emory, we caught a cab to our dorms at University College London (UCL) http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ . After settling in, we headed to the grocery store, got mobile phones, and then headed to The Fitzroy Tavern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzroy_Tavern for our first pub experience! The pub opened in 1919 and was apparently frequented by George Orwell! The atmosphere was lovely, and I got vegetarian risotto and hard cider; everything was absolutely wonderful.

Today was UCL new student orientation, where we learned about how academics work and prepared to sign up for classes. I can’t wait to finalize my schedule! I’m going to have a terrible time deciding which coursework to take; everything looks so interesting. During one of our breaks, my friends Hayley, Shiva, Sheneka (who are all from Emory, too), and I wandered around campus, and I took a few pictures. Isn’t it gorgeous?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket