Nov 8, 2011

Historic Oakland Cemetery

I'm currently typing this on a bit of a sugar and caffeine high. Starbuck's seasonal peppermint mochas might be the best thing ever. What are you excited about for November? I can't wait until I go home for Thanksgiving in two weeks! I just have the survive the onslaught of work, first.

Photobucket

On Saturday, one of my classes--Anthropology of Death and Burial--went to the Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia. We went on a perfect, sunny fall day and our class was given a tour of the site, which was established in 1850. There is a tremendous amount of history at the site, and the architecture and art were absolutely stunning!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Oakland houses more than 70,000 graves, and is divided into sections, including an African American burial ground, Jewish burial ground, and confederate soldier burial ground. It was amazing to see so much green, open space and historic graves within sight of Atlanta's downtown. 

I'll have more pictures of the cemetery up later this week!