Aug 5, 2011

With Love, Philadelphia


After my impromptu blogging break (my camera broke and things got busy), the good news is that I have a bunch of fun adventure posts coming up! Also, I have to say that I totally can’t believe that Harry Potter is over. I feel like my childhood ended a few weeks ago, Deathly Hallows, Part II came out. I went to see it at midnight with a friend, and I might have cried a little. Don’t judge me. 

Photobucket

A few weeks ago, my friend Jess and I took the train from New Jersey into Philadelphia to explore the city and do as many free, tourist-y things as possible. It was an unbelievably hot day (I think it was 95 degrees), but we still managed to have a total blast!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

We went to see the Liberty Bell and the Independence Visitor’s Center first; I hadn’t seen the liberty bell since I was a little kid! I think it got smaller. Or maybe I just got bigger?  

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

After the Visitor’s Center, we went to The FederalReserve Bank of Philadelphia’s “Money in Motion” exhibit, where fun interactive tools teach you about banking, money, and the Federal Reserve System. We even got shredded money as a free souvenir for visiting! We also visited the United States Mint, where we got to see how money is made, which was super cool.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

For lunch, we walked to the Reading Terminal Market, which has a ton of amazing food vendors and some cute little stands! I got a peach, strawberry, and banana smoothie and a fresh handmade soft pretzel for lunch. Yum!

Photobucket
Photobucket

After lunch, we headed over to Fairmount/Love Park, where we saw the famous LOVE sculpture, and sat with our feet in the giant water fountain! Then, we headed to the Comcast Center to explore and watch the “Comcast Experience”—a huge HD video that covers one of the walls!

Photobucket
Photobucket

We finished up the day by going to Capogiro’s Gelato, which has some of the best gelato I’ve ever had. I got dark chocolate (it’s out of this world), and sea salt, which was such a good combination!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Before getting on our train, Jess and I headed to one last park, and then caught the five thirty back to New Jersey. I had such a fun time, and it was really nice to spent time in the city—I live so close to Philadelphia, and I always wish I got to spend more time there! What is your favorite city to visit, and what do you like doing there?