Aug 22, 2011

Midnight Train to Georgia


This past weekend has been a blur of state hopping (West Virginia, Tennessee, and Georgia), hiking, tons of food, and moving into college. Whew! What did you spend your weekend doing?
 
Photobucket

Friday my parents and I went to Fayetteville, West Virginia, to visit the New River George Bridge. It’s the second tallest arch bridge in the United States! We went hiking around the bridge and saw a bunch of waterfalls before heading to Knoxville, Tennessee for the night. 

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

On Saturday, we finally arrived in Georgia! On the way we visited Sweetwater Valley Farm in Tennessee. It’s an adorable little place that makes its own cheeses. They had the best fresh buttermilk cheese!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

That night, in Atlanta, Georgia, my parents and I met my cousin, Anna, and her husband, Spencer, for dinner. We went to Parish Foods and Goods, and adorable, locally sourced restaurant with southern flair. For dinner, we all split an amazing local cheese plate, an organic mushroom cheesecake, and a bacon and beet salad (which my vegetarian self had to forgo). For my main course I had a Georgia farm fresh vegetable plate, which included local squash, beans, fried green tomatoes, and mushrooms over delicious buttermilk grits. For dessert, we all shared a tasty fig gallette and sweet tea ice cream!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Sunday I finally moved into my dorm room at Emory! After moving in, getting groceries, and picking up some extra things for my dorm, my parents and I headed to Farm Burger, a super tasty, environmentally conscious hamburger joint in Decatur, a suburb of Atlanta. My parents and I got an order of fries to share, and I got a veggie quinoa burger with arugula, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, “farmburger sauce”, and goat cheese. It was delicious (but super hard to eat; too many toppings!)!

 Photobucket
Photobucket
 
On Monday, my parents and I got brunch together before they left to head home to New Jersey. We went to the Flying Biscuit, a back-to-school tradition for my family. I got their amazing French toast with raspberry and crème anglaise sauce, and a side order of their awesome, creamy grits.

Photobucket

I can’t believe classes start in three days! Even if you’re not still a student, what’s your favorite thing about “back to school” season?