Jun 20, 2011

Savannah State REU: Week Five

I spent most of this week in the lab doing research for the Savannah State REU program (10 and 11 hour work days; eeep!). However, I did get the chance to go out and visit the Oatland Island Wildlife Center and the super delicious Lulu’s Chocolate Bar!

Photobucket

On Thursday night my friends Taryn, Eli, and Laura and I headed into downtown Savannah to visit Lulu’s Chocolate Bar. It’s a super cute dessert bar, decked out with funky art, chandeliers, and hipsters. I got the flourless chocolate cake, Eli got the double chocolate peanut butter pie, Laura got the triple chocolate raspberry cake, and Taryn got the strawberry suspension cake. I swear, it was some of the best darn chocolate ever.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

On Sunday, Laura, Taryn, Mike, Carmren and I headed to the Oatland Island WildlifeCenter of Savannah, where we spent the day. The wildlife center has a ton of animal exhibits, including grey wolves, armadillos, alligators, a garden, birds of prey, and bison. It was so neat to see all of the animals, and the enclosures are located along beautiful, winding paths through the woods and along the salt marsh!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Next weekend, I’ll be attending my beautiful cousin Anna’s wedding to her sweet husband-to-be, Spencer (pictured below with their dog Henry and Spencer’s brother, Clancy). It’ll be in Athens, Georgia, and I can’t wait to see my whole family and watch Anna walk down the aisle. I’ll be sure to take a ton of pictures for y’all! Do y'all have any fun plans for the upcoming weekend? 

Photobucket

Special thanks to Lulu Letty's post for the tip off about the awesome chocolate bar!