Jan 16, 2011

Turning Twenty

Today is my twentieth birthday! Eeep, I feel ancient. What is your favorite way to celebrate getting older? I plan on eating Thai food with friends and watching a movie tonight!

 Photobucket

On Sunday night I flew back into Atlanta, only to arrive in a blizzard! Atlanta never gets snow, and as such they have no idea what to do with it. The highway had been shut down, so I grabbed the train and then The Boy came and got me at the station. The roads were completely covered in snow and totally deserted, and we ended up picking up some stranded people trying to get to Emory Hospital. We got almost halfway to campus when The Boy’s car got stuck on an icy hill, and we pushed the car up a few hundred feet but ended up having to abandon it. Luckily The Boy’s roommate (with four wheel drive!) came and picked us up. We did some donuts in a parking lot and then headed to their house, where I spent the night catching up and watching Being John Malkovich.

The next morning, around noon, The Boy and I were finally able to leave his house and get to campus. That night we had gotten frozen rain, so all the trees and roads were coated in ice, which is totally beautiful and totally dangerous. I spent the day in Recruitment School (where we learn what we need to do for sorority rush, coming up next week) and unpacking my new room in the sorority lodge. I also caught up with my roommate, Emily, and we played Kinect on her Xbox. It was awesome!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Tuesday we had another Recruitment School, and my grandbig and I made dinner together (yummy velveeta macaroni and cheese with broccoli). Wednesday classes were canceled, so The Boy met me on campus for a fun, snowy walk through Lullwater Park, where I took some of these pictures. We then headed back to my dorm to watch 30 Rock and Serenity, and then we headed out for dinner. Everything was closed early because of the icy roads, so we ended up going to Steak n’ Shake, where I got tasty chicken fingers and fries (which I literally coated in hamburger seasoning).

Thursday and Friday classes were both canceled (cheaaa!), so I spent Thursday being thoroughly unproductive and hanging out with my Big Megan and friend, Emily. On Friday my friends Hayley and Maria (who both have January birthdays, too) and I all went to Decatur, a suburb of Atlanta, to wander around and eat yummy food. We visited an awesome record store and a used book shop, and went food hopping! At Farmburger I had this amazing sweet potato soup with cinnamon cream, while my friends had burgers. Later we went to Taqueria Del Sol for some of their truly amazing cheese dip and corn tortilla chips. Yum! We got back to campus and hung out watching TV for a while, and then headed off to bed.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
( rain boots: target, black jeans: j.crew, top: old navy, scarf: unknown
bag: urban outfitters, jacket: jason kole )

On Saturday the boy picked me up so we could spend the day together for my birthday. We spent the day watching the fifth season of 30 Rock and then that night he took me to Nava restaurant, which was super fancy and super tasty. We had Sonoma jack cheese fritters (toasted pecans, red chili jelly, and herbed goat cheese) for an appetizer, and for dinner I had amazing grilled key-lime chicken (with black bean rice, guacamole, and Arbol chili vinegar). Finally, for dessert we shared a yummy banana and cream thing, which they brought out with a birthday candle. Afterward we went ice skating at The Rink, which was a ton of fun! 

Photobucket

 Listening To:
bullets - augustana