Feb 5, 2012

London: Fortnum and Mason

How was your weekend? I spent mine at a football match and frolicing in the London snow! We got a few inches, and I couldn't have been more happy.

Photobucket

Last week Hayley and I spent an afternoon checking out the shops on and around Oxford Street! Oxford St. is really amazing; almost any upscale shop you could ever want is on it, along with a ton of more affordable stuff, too.

Photobucket
Photobucket

After making a quick trip to the Lush store (it was two whole stories of natural goodness!), Hayley and I stopped into Paxton & Whitfield, off Jermyn St.; it's a cheesmonger that's been operating for over 200 years! I was literally in cheese heaven in the store, and I can't wait to go back and buy something (the samples were so so tasty). They had everything from jams to artisan cheeses and special ciders!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

After P&W, Hayley and I went into Floris London, a gorgeous old perfumery my mom recommended. The trip was worth it for the inside of the building alone: it was all dark wood and delicate glass, and the perfumes smelled wonderful!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Hayley and I thought we were going to make it to the science museum, but we ended up spending hours in Fortnum and Mason instead! F&M is a lot like a smaller version of Harrods; it's really upscale, and there is fancy grocery, candy/pastries, clothing, books, and housewares. Check out the perfume display!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My favorite section, as per usual, was the bakery. I am such a sucker for baked goods! They had some beautiful cakes, a ton of cupcakes, pastries, and even some gluten free brownies.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

At Fortnum and Mason I got a champagne truffle cupcake, and after leaving the building Hayley and I went to a nearby cafe where she got some coffee and I ate my cupcake! The cake wasn't as wonderful as I hoped, but the icing and truffle sure were good.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

We saw these cakes on the way home; aren't they just the prettiest? I seriously need to stop taking pictures of these things. They always make me so hungry when I do a blog post!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket