Feb 24, 2012

Spain: Barcelona V

It's crazy to think that just one week ago I was in Barcelona. I don’t think I’ll ever forget my visit.. Here’s my last post about the trip!

Photobucket

Friday morning Hayley, Shiva, and I took the metro to Las Ramblas, a huge street that runs up the center of the city. Our first stop was the coast, where we got a last look at the Mediterranean, saw Barcelona’s Port Vell, and got to see a statue of Columbus. There were seagulls literally everywhere!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

From the port we headed up Las Ramblas. We saw the Casa Bruno Cuadros (a funky little house-turned-bank that people call the ‘umbrella house’), bought some postcards, and checked out all the pretty things for sale along the street.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Las Ramblas was a huge tourist trap, but it was still super cool. One of my favorite parts about it was all of the street performers; I couldn’t believe how elaborate some of their costumes were!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

In the middle of Las Ramblas is the Mercat St. Josep, a fabulous market full of produce, meat, candy, and just about anything else you could ever want. I absolutely loved walking around and seeing all of the goods for sale!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

At the market I got a delicious raspberry and coconut smoothie, and picked up a packet of fresh coconut to munch on. Yum.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

In order to work up an appetite (again) for lunch we headed back to Las Ramblas and walked around a bit more. There were a ton of really gorgeous flower stands; I wish I could have taken advantage of them!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

From Las Ramblas we headed back to the market to get lunch. Hayley and I got amazing vegetarian paella, salad, and a falafel for five Euros! It was absolutely delicious.

Photobucket
Photobucket

After walking around a bit more we caught the metro to La Sagrada Familia. We got a last glimpse of the church and nabbed a few souvenirs (family, get excited) and then headed to the hostel to print our boarding passes and get our backpacks. We then went to a coffee shop to get “dinner”, aka coffee and pastries (you might have noticed that our last day in Barcelona involved eating everything possible). I ended up getting the same yummy drink I got when I first arrived, and two tasty sweets to try. Hello, sugar rush.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Shiva’s flight left a bit before Hayley and I’s, so he caught the bus to the airport and we walked around a little bit. Saying goodbye to the city was bitter sweet; I was excited to go back “home” to London, but I was sad to leave!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Do you have any fun weekend plans? I’m heading to Cambridge for a day trip on Saturday and I’m pretty excited!