Nov 29, 2013

ON BEING THANKFUL

13-11-29 1
This year's Thanksgiving was a quiet, understated affair. 

Hannah and I both had to work on the actual date, so we celebrated on Tuesday instead. I made my mom's mashed potatoes and fresh cranberry sauce, along with a kale and wild rice stuffing, pumpkin pie, and a delicious pear, cranberry, and apple crisp. Hannah made green bean casserole with vegetables that her family canned over the summer, and we bought a pack of delightfully processed crescent rolls.

We spent our day cooking, listening to absurd amounts of Christmas music, and watching Love Actually and our night drinking wine and filling our bellies with far too much food. It was relaxed and  perfectly wonderful.

I don't stop to think about it nearly often enough, but when I do count my blessings I am reminded just how much I have to be thankful for. Hannah and I are both healthy, happy, and in love, and I get to see my childhood friends and wonderful family (whom I miss dearly) in just a few short weeks for Christmas. I've been blessed with the opportunity to go to grad school in an incredible city and I'm lucky enough to be living close to aunts and uncles and cousins. I've had so many incredible opportunities in the past year, and I couldn't be more grateful.

How did you celebrate the holiday? What are you most thankful for this holiday season?