Jan 18, 2012

London: East London

Is this not the most beautiful cake you've ever seen? I pass by is most days on my way back from class. I don't know if it's a real cake or not, but it sure is pretty!

Photobucket

On Sunday, all of the kids from Emory who are currently in London met up with Anneka, our advisor, and went on a walking tour of East London! It was crazy cold, but we had a blast eating our way around the city and learning about history!

We started the tour wandering around the city, seeing old sites like a Jewish soup kitchen and the church where Jack the Ripper picked up prostitutes.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

After being out in the cold, we ducked into the partially enclosed Spitalfields Market, where Anneka treated us to pastries and hot coffee and we explored the market! There were so many awesome stalls with everything from posters to cute dresses and food (so much food!!). I can’t wait to go back soon!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket 

After the market we walked by a public archaeology site and stopped by Dennis Severs’ House. The house was recreated as a sort of “time capsule” in the late 1900’s by its resident, Dennis Sever. It now functions as a sort of living museum. The rooms were fascinating, but I must confess that parts of it seemed incredibly artificial, and I wouldn’t recommend it.

Photobucket
Photobucket

For lunch we visited the Sunday Up Market/Brick Lane Market, which was my favorite part of the tour! There were loads and loads of ethnic food stalls, and tons of beautiful crafts and goods for sale. Anneka gave all of us ten pounds and we were sent off to find lunch. I got a delicious pumpkin and vegetable curry from a Thai stall, and I nabbed two cupcakes (one for then, one for later!) at an adorable bakery stall. I got a chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake and a black forest cupcake (it's the one with the cherry on top!), and they were utterly, utterly amazing.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

We finished the tour by walking through a largely Bangladeshi portion of London, which was super cool!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Most of our group went home on the tube, but Shiva, Hayley, Sheneka, Amanda and I decided to be adventurous and walk back. We got a bit turned around, but we saw so many cool things that it was totally worth it!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Monday the 16th was my twenty-first birthday, and I really couldn’t have spent it in a better place. The day was really low-key, in the best possible way! I went out with a bunch of Emory kids for a funky vegetarian Indian restaurant in Soho called Govinda’s . I don’t think I would go back, but I’m glad we tried it! I had paneer chili (which was spicy and delicious) and some unimpressive sides.

After dinner we headed to The Green Man , a nearby pub. It was super funky, with beautiful old chairs and gorgeous white molding, and the menu is mostly hard ciders, which I adore! I got a delicious Gaymers Pear Cider, and later in the night I got mulled cider. It was so nice to sit, chat, and relax in the pub!